Sunday 5 May 2013

Review: Looking for Alaska by John Green

Looking for Alaska by John Green.

From goodreads:
Before. Miles "Pudge" Halter's whole existence has been one big nonevent, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave the "Great Perhaps" (François Rabelais, poet) even more. Then he heads off to the sometimes crazy, possibly unstable, and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed-up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young, who is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart.


I have yet to meet a person that did not love this book. Seriously. Looking for Alaska is one of those books that all Young Adult books strive to be. It has two main characters that are equally as interesting and equally as enjoyable to read about, which is something that not many books achieve.

Main character one is Miles - a boy who is starting a new, posh, super-school and looking for a place to 'fit'. Cue Alaska (main character number two)... a girl who is totally entrancing and she instantly mesmerizes Miles. When you think of a teenage girl (with mood swings included) you can think of Alaska. She;s a great character to read about because you can see why Miles is so captivated with her craziness. This book takes you on the journey of love, lust, friendship and more... I won't say too much more because I want you to read it and enjoy it as much as I did.

I walked into Looking for Alaska without knowing what it was actually about (Alaska, right?) and I advise you to do the same. I'm glad I didn't know a whole lot about it. It meant that I could connect with the story and go with it. It meant that I could fall into the emotions of the characters without having pre-conceived ideas about them.

On the whole, this is a brilliant book and you won't regret reading it.

John Green, I salute you Sir.

2 comments:

  1. This was my first John Green book. I loved it so much I grabbed up An Abundance of Katherines, too.

    I can't think of anyone who didn't like this book, either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book so much it was my first John Green book and it blew me away so much that I had to pick up his others straight away. Great review of this book, I've always said its not a nice book to review as you don't want to ruin anything for new readers.

    ReplyDelete